Six young men kill flasher in toilet

Source: TODAY newspaper
8 October 2008

Six plead guilty to voluntarily causing grievous hurt:

Zul Othman

IT WAS a night of revelry, as six friends – all gang members aged from 17 to 28 – gathered at a pub in Orchard Towers on Nov 23 to celebrate a birthday.

But the gathering ended in tragedy: A brawl broke out, and by 6am, a 37-year-old stranger was pronounced dead after being kicked and punched by the six friends.

The six – Messrs Ahmad Nur Helmy, Muhammed Ridhwan Mohammed Roslan, Helmi Abdul Rahim, Ho Ching Boon, Lai Chee Kuen and Muhammed Suffian Zainal – were collared in a matter of days after the incident, and charged with the murder of Mr Suhaimi Sulong.

On Tuesday, they appeared at the Subordinate Court and pleaded guilty, but to a lesser charge: That of voluntarily causing grievous hurt.

The charges were probably downgraded because the attack was not premeditated, explained one lawyer.

With friends and family crowding the packed courtroom, all six �remained emotionless even as Deputy Public �Prosecutor (DPP) Samuel Chua unveiled the gruesome details of the attack on Mr Suhaimi.

The fight took place at around 5am near Brown Sugar, a pub on the second floor. According to court documents, the fracas began when Mr Ho, 18, andMr Lai, who at 17 was underaged, left the pub after they spotted police officers performing checks.

While they were waiting outside the pub for their friends to turn up,Mr Suhaimi allegedly approached the duo and began making lewd comments and offering sexual services.

The teenagers decided to ignore him and headed back to the club. At about 4am, Mr Suhaimi approached Mr Ahmad Nur Helmy – the birthday boy – while he was in the toilet, exposing himself to the 20-year-old in the process.

Angered, the latter summoned his friends and they confronted the victim.

Eyewitnesses said the group began chasing after Mr Suhaimi while shouting “jangan lari” (“don’t run”).

They also asked Mr Suhaimi if he was a homosexual. But when he didn’t answer and tried to flee, Mr Ahmad grabbed the victim’s T-shirt and began kicking and punching him.

Although the rest initially tried to break up the fight, they eventually joined the fray and began throwing a volley of kicks on Mr Suhaimi. They then dragged Mr Suhaimi down to the first-floor entrance and threw him into a taxi, court documents said.

By then, the victim was motionless and bloodied from the attack. He had also sustained head injuries and was taken unconscious to the Singapore General Hospital by ambulance. He was pronounced dead at 6.02am and an autopsy later revealed that he had from sustaining blunt force injuries to his head and neck.

Over the next few days, police arrested his attackers. On Nov 27,Mr Helmi Abdul Rahim, 28, surrendered himself to the authorities. The six men, all out on bail, are due to appear in court on Oct 28 for sentencing.

All six face imprisonment of up to 10 years, and they may also be fined or caned.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s



%d bloggers like this: